Jane's Blog

Friday 24 January 2014

Techie Culture



People young and old are becoming hooked to social networking sites. There is so much need to get connected and be part of this fast changing world. There is so much sharing and liking, posting of “selfie” pictures and commenting on-line. It is unprecedented! It’s simply, phenomenal! For the past few years, it has become habitual to the point of addiction.

There is nothing constant but change, an old adage has it. Should we allow ourselves to fossilize and rot? Of course not! We need to move forward and embrace changes for the better.  Admit it, there is a down side as well. We need to strike a balance in everything we do. Does technology help me become a better person or does it make of me a slave or a monster?  Many things are possible!

A research study can perhaps help on the effects of this techie culture on our daily lives. I’d love to do this study if given the chance. As a teacher, I want to make life better for my students. How can I help them maximize their potentials and bring out the best in them, as God had planned for them?

When I go to computer cafes to take a peek on how Grade School pupils, High School and College students spend their free time on games online, it gives me this ambivalent feeling of sadness and joy. It is sad to see them cut classes and prioritize something other than their future. It makes me happy when they’re enjoying so much in their attempts to level up or when they strive to learn more and be inspired by what they have viewed and read.  I feel happier at the ease and facility they have in using these media to reach out to friends and be aware of the many issues of this techie but at times, tacky world.

My prayer is this: “May everyone who uses these media of social communications find the joy of salvation and spread the Word of God to the farthest ends of the earth.”


No comments:

Post a Comment